Lamb causes a sensation at dinnertime and this classic Greek pot roast is no exception!
The ingredient of Greek lamb pot roast
- 2kg leg of lamb
- 1 large garlic clove, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 large red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Mashed potato, to serve
The instruction how to make Greek lamb pot roast
- Using a small sharp knife, cut 8 deep slits into top of lamb. Press garlic and basil into slits. Using a vegetable peeler, cut 2 long strips of rind from 1 lemon. Juice lemon. Cut remaining lemon into wedges.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook lamb for 5 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion to dish. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until just softened. Add lemon rind. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add wine. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in stock. Add lemon juice. Return lamb to dish. Season with pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours, turning halfway.
- Add capsicum to dish. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add olives, oregano and lemon wedges. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until lemon just starts to collapse and lamb is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with mashed potato.
Nutritions of Greek lamb pot roastfatContent: 488.516 calories
saturatedFatContent: 27 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 3 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 2 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 56 grams protein
sodiumContent: 187 milligrams cholesterol