This is a great make-ahead vegetarian meal that the whole family will love. Prepare the layered grilled vegies and herby tomato quinoa mixture in advance and then finish the recipe later in the week.
The ingredient of Cheesy grilled vegetable and quinoa bake
- 2 (about 700g) eggplants, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 800g slender sweet potato, peeled, cut into 7mm-thick slices
- 4 (about 800g) zucchini, cut lengthways into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 red onions, cut into 6mm-thick rings
- 200g (1 cup) tri-coloured quinoa, rinsed
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 2 x 410g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 750g fresh ricotta, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 80ml (1/3 cup) reduced-fat milk
- 70g (1 cup) parmesan (or vegetarian hard cheese), finely grated
- Small fresh basil leaves, extra, to serve
The instruction how to make Cheesy grilled vegetable and quinoa bake
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced and lightly grease a large 20 x 28cm rectangular baking dish.
- Preheat a chargrill or barbecue grill on medium. Brush both sides of the eggplant with a little oil. Season. Chargrill for 3-4 minutes each side or until charred and tender. Transfer to a large baking tray. Repeat with the sweet potato and oil. Transfer to tray. Brush both sides of the zucchini and onion with the remaining oil. Season. Chargrill for 2-3 minutes each side or until charred and tender. Transfer to tray.
- Place the quinoa and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Spread over a tray lined with a clean tea towel to drain.
- Combine the quinoa, tomato, basil and garlic in a large bowl. Season. Place the ricotta, eggs, milk and 1u20442 cup parmesan in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to stir vigorously until almost smooth. Season.
- Spread half the quinoa mixture over base of prepared dish. Cover with half the sweet potato. Top with half the onion, zucchini and eggplant. Spread with remaining quinoa mixture. Repeat layering with the remaining sweet potato, onion, zucchini and eggplant. Spread with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with extra basil.
Nutritions of Cheesy grilled vegetable and quinoa bakefatContent:
saturatedFatContent: 30 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 11 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 63 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 12 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 29 grams protein