This better-for-you quiche features a creamy beetroot, walnuts and goats cheese filling.
The ingredient of Beetroot and goat’s cheese quiche
- 100g (1 cup) rolled oats
- 50g (1/2 cup) almond or walnut meal
- 50g (1/3 cup) rice or spelt flour
- 40g (1/4 cup) linseeds
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (or potato starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 80g butter, cubed and chilled, (or virgin coconut oil, )plus extra, to grease
- 80ml (1/3 cup) ice-cold water
- Plain Greek yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- 250g raw beetroot, trimmed and peeled, leaves reserved
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 20 fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra whole leaves, to serve
- 100g (2 cups) reserved beetroot leaves or spinach
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon honey, plus extra, to drizzle
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 free-range eggs
- 120ml plant-based milk of choice
- 100g soft goatu2019s cheese (chu00e8vre)
- 12 walnuts, roughly chopped
The instruction how to make Beetroot and goat’s cheese quiche
- Blend the oats, nut meal, flour, linseeds, arrowroot and salt in a food processor until texture resembles coarse flour. Add butter or coconut oil and blend until combined. Add the cold water, a tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the mixture comes together. Remove dough, knead slightly and shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm quiche dish or tart tin.
- Unwrap the dough. Place in the prepared dish or tin and press it out evenly to cover the base and sides, making sure itu2019s flush with the edges of the dish. Prick the pastry base with a fork and bake blind for about 12 minutes or until firm and slightly golden. Remove from the oven, set aside and reduce the oven to 170u00b0C.
- For the filling, grate the beetroot and set aside. Heat the oil in a small heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and sautu00e9 for about 15 minutes or until the onion has softened. Remove from the heat.
- Add the mint, beetroot leaves or spinach, vinegar or lemon juice, and honey to the pan and stir through while the vegetables are still warm so the greens wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the milk and whisk until combined. Add the vegetable mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread the grated beetroot over the pastry base. Pour the quiche filling on top, leaving the outer edge uncovered so that the beetroot is still visible. Crumble over the goatu2019s cheese. Scatter the walnuts on top, drizzle with extra honey and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the filling is firm and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly before slicing.
- Serve slightly warm with yoghurt, if you like, and topped with extra mint and honey.
Nutritions of Beetroot and goat’s cheese quichefatContent: