Vegan, gluten-free mac n cheese? You really will be amazed how creamy, cheesy and plain indulgent this twist on the classic pasta recipe tastes when it contains no dairy products at all.
The ingredient of Dairy-free mac n cheese
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 small (100g) cream delight potato, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free white miso paste
- 1/4 cup gluten-free nutritional yeast seasoning (see note)
- 1 1/4 cups soy milk
- 340g packet gluten-free elbow pasta
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
The instruction how to make Dairy-free mac n cheese
- Place cashews in bowl. Cover with cold water. Set aside overnight to soften.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add miso paste and 3/4 cup cold water. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes to cool.
- Drain cashews. Transfer cashews and vegetable mixture to a food processor or blender. Add yeast and milk. Process, scraping down sides, until almost smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta following packet directions. Drain. Return to pan.
- Combine thyme, lemon rind and salt in a small bowl. Add cashew mixture to pasta. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Sprinkle with thyme salt. Serve.
Nutritions of Dairy-free mac n cheesefatContent: 671.829 calories
saturatedFatContent: 27.7 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 83.9 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 20.1 grams protein