Satisfy your sweet tooth with this indulgent salted caramel and apple pie.
The ingredient of Salted caramel apple pie
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 large Pink Lady apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) custard powder
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 185g butter, chilled, chopped
- 2 Coles Brand Australian free range egg yolks
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (185ml) thickened cream
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt flakes
The instruction how to make Salted caramel apple pie
- To make the pastry, process the flour, custard powder, icing sugar and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and 1 tablespoon chilled water and process until dough just comes together. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Reserve one-third of the dough. Roll the remaining dough on a floured surface to a 5mm-thick disc. Line base and side of a 22cm-round fluted tart pan with removable base with pastry. Trim edge, reserving excess pastry. Place in fridge for 15 mins to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the caramel sauce, place sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5-7 mins or until sugar dissolves and caramelises. Remove from heat. Add cream, butter and salt. Return to a low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 mins or until the caramel boils and thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Combine apple and lemon juice in a bowl. Add brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Arrange one-third of the apple mixture over the pastry case. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce. Continue layering with half the remaining apple and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons caramel sauce. Top with remaining apple.
- Roll reserved pastry on a floured surface to a 3mm-thick disc. Cut into 3cm x 22cm strips. Arrange strips, cutting to fit, in a lattice pattern over the apple mixture. Place in the fridge for 15 mins to chill.
- Place pie on a baking tray. Brush pastry with egg and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 30 mins or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly. Serve with vanilla ice-cream and remaining caramel sauce.
Nutritions of Salted caramel apple piefatContent: 712.22 calories
saturatedFatContent: 35 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 22 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 89 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 7 grams protein