Inspired by the traditional Irish dish, this creamy layered bake is also dairy and gluten-free.
The ingredient of Dairy-free creamy colcannon bake
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 cup gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 green cabbage, finely shredded
- 500g desiree potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
The instruction how to make Dairy-free creamy colcannon bake
- Place cashews in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 hour to soften.
- Meanwhile, place onion, garlic, carrot, celery and stock in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until very tender. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes to cool.
- Drain cashews. Transfer cashews and vegetable mixture to a food processor or blender. Add yeast and milk. Process, scraping down sides, until almost smooth.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm (base) oval baking dish.
- Place 1/2 the cabbage over base of prepared dish. Top with 1/2 the potato, slightly overlapping. Drizzle with cashew mixture. Top with remaining cabbage, then potato, slightly overlapping. Spray with oil. Sprinkle with thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover. Bake for a further 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve.
Nutritions of Dairy-free creamy colcannon bakefatContent: 161.564 calories
saturatedFatContent: 7.2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 1.1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 15.1 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 6.4 grams protein