Pavlova or ice cream? Let us make the tough life choices for you with this luscious double-up dessert!
The ingredient of Pavlova parfait
- 10 passionfruit
- 435ml (1 3/4 cups) milk
- 500ml (2 cups) pouring cream
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) raw caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar mixture
- Passionfruit pulp, extra, to serve
The instruction how to make Pavlova parfait
- Grease the base and sides of a square 16cm (base measurement) cake pan and line with plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang. Place the pulp from 7 passionfruit in a food processor and pulse. Pour into a sieve set over a bowl. Use the back of a spoon to press on passionfruit to extract as much juice as possible. You should have about 125ml juice. Discard the seeds.
- Place the milk, pouring cream and u00bd cup caster sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring just to the boil. Use a balloon whisk to beat yolks and 1u20442 cup caster sugar in a heatproof bowl until thick and pale. Slowly whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Strain the cream mixture into a clean saucepan. Add half the vanilla. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 12 minutes or until thickened slightly and custard just coats the back of the spoon. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Place over an ice bath, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until cool. Slowly stir in the passionfruit juice and pulp from the remaining passionfruit. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 120C/100C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the remaining caster sugar, 1 tbs at a time, beating constantly until sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in cornflour and vinegar. Spoon onto prepared tray. Use a palette knife to spread to 2cm thick. Bake for 45 minutes or until crisp and dry. Turn oven off. Leave meringue in oven, with the door closed, to cool completely. Coarsely break meringue into pieces. Reserve 1u20443 cup meringue.
- Churn cooled custard in an ice-cream machine for 20 minutes. Spoon one-third of ice-cream into prepared pan. Top with half the meringue. Spoon over half the remaining ice-cream. Top with the remaining meringue. Spoon over remaining ice-cream. Smooth the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 8 hours or overnight to set.
- Use electric beaters to beat thickened cream, icing sugar and remaining vanilla in a bowl until soft peaks form. Turn parfait onto a plate. Top with cream mixture. Drizzle with extra passionfruit. Top with reserved meringue.
Nutritions of Pavlova parfaitfatContent: