Sing a song of spring with a bounty of beautiful blueberries baked in a pie. Lemon enhances the berries natural sweetness in these individual desserts.
The ingredient of Blueberry lattice pies
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) iced water
- 375g blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Ice-cream or custard, to serve
The instruction how to make Blueberry lattice pies
- Place the flour, salt and 2 tablespoons of the caster sugar in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water and process until the mixture just starts to come together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until just smooth. Wrap two-thirds of the pastry in plastic wrap, then wrap the remaining pastry in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the blueberries, cornflour, lemon rind and remaining caster sugar in a large bowl. Grease six 12cm (top measurement) pie dishes.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Roll out large pastry portion on a lightly floured surface until 5mm thick. Cut six 15cm discs from pastry. Line dishes with pastry, allowing edges to overhang. Divide blueberry mixture among pies. Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured surface until 5mm thick. Cut into 1cm-wide strips. Brush edges of pies with water. Arrange strips in a lattice pattern over the filling and press to seal. Trim edges. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Brush top of pies with water. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden. Reduce oven to 180u00b0C. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pies are golden. Cool in dishes for 10 minutes. Serve with ice-cream or custard.
Nutritions of Blueberry lattice piesfatContent: 579.097 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 20 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 65 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 20 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 94 milligrams cholesterol