This warm, golden pie features a sweet double-fruit filling, and is the perfect way to round off a special feast.
The ingredient of Apple and blackberry pie
- 1kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered, cut into 1.5cm-thick slices
- 200g frozen blackberries
- 75g (1/3 cup) raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped glace ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar, extra
- Double cream, to serve
- 525g (31/2 cups) plain flour
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 250g chilled butter, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
The instruction how to make Apple and blackberry pie
- To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar, butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the eggs and process until the dough just starts to come together. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 28cm-diameter disc. Line a 20cm (base measurement) pie dish with the pastry. Trim excess and reserve. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Combine the apple, blackberries, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and flour in a bowl. Brush the base and side of the pastry case with half the egg white. Spoon the apple mixture into the pastry case.
- Roll out the remaining pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 24cm-diameter disc. Place over the pie dish. Press the edges to seal. Trim excess pastry. Roll out with the reserved pastry. Use a leaf-shaped pastry cutter or a small sharp knife to cut leaves from pastry. Place on pie to decorate. Brush pie with remaining egg white. Top with extra sugar. Cut 3 slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden and the apple is tender when a skewer is inserted into the slits. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Cut into wedges. Serve with cream.
Nutritions of Apple and blackberry piefatContent: 965.082 calories
saturatedFatContent: 37 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 23 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 139 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 74 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 14 grams protein
sodiumContent: 167 milligrams cholesterol