This bottomless fruit pie with a crumbly sour cream crust is an American classic.
The ingredient of Pear & raspberry pandowdy
- 4 (about 270g each) pears
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped stem ginger in syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- 65g (1/4 cup) sour cream
- 125g frozen raspberries
- Lightly whisked egg, to brush
- 1 tablespoon demerara or raw sugar
- Double cream or ice-cream, to serve
The instruction how to make Pear & raspberry pandowdy
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Peel and core the pears. Cut each into 8 wedges. Place in a 1.5L (6-cup) ovenproof frying pan or round baking dish. Add cinnamon, mixed spice, caster sugar and ginger and toss to combine. Drizzle over the honey. Bake for 1 hour or until pear is tender and sticky. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven to 180u00b0C. Process the flour, icing sugar, custard powder and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg and sour cream and process until the mixture almost comes together.
- Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a disc slightly larger than frying pan or dish. Top pear mixture with raspberries. Place pastry over pear mixture, allowing edges to overhang. Fold back pastry. Brush with whisked egg and sprinkle with demerara or raw sugar. Place on a baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve with cream or ice-cream.
Nutritions of Pear & raspberry pandowdyfatContent: