Gather the troops for a tender roast with the best ever crackling and a dollop of tomato jam.
The ingredient of Roast pork with tomato and maple jam
- 2.7kg pork shoulder, boned and rolled (skin on)
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 large garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, halved
- 3 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- Roast baby potatoes, to serve
- Salad leaves, to serve
- 2 large truss tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 60ml (1/4 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
The instruction how to make Roast pork with tomato and maple jam
- Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan forced. Place the pork on a chopping board. Remove pork from netting and unroll. Pat u2028dry with paper towel and use a sharp knife to score the rind at 1cm intervals.
- Place the rosemary leaves, garlic, lemon rind and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a mortar and pound with a pestle until crushed. Mix in u2028half of the oil. Season well with pepper. Spread over the flesh side of the pork. Re-roll pork. Tie with kitchen string at 3cm intervals to secure. Place pork on a wire rack in a large roasting pan. Drizzle rind with remaining oil. Rub with remaining salt. Roast for 45 minutes, or until rind starts to crackle.
- Reduce the oven to 150C/130C fan forced. Remove pork from the oven and pour the boiling water and the juice from half u2028a lemon into the bottom of the pan. Roast u2028for a further 2u00a0hours 45u00a0minutes or until the pork is very tender. Transfer pork to a clean chopping board and set aside to rest for 15u00a0minutes. Pour juices from the roasting u2028pan into a jug. Skim and discard any fat u2028from the surface, then pour the pan juices into an airtight container and reserve in u2028the fridge. Carve the pork, reserving about one thirdu00a0of the meat.
- Meanwhile, for the tomato and maple jam, use a sharp knife to mark a small cross u2028in the base of each tomato. Place in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1 minute or until skin starts to lift. Drain. Refresh under cold running water. Peel and discard skin. Halve tomatoes, discard the seeds and coarsely chop flesh.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion. Season. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4u00a0minutes or until soft. Stir in the tomato for 1u00a0minute. Add syrup, vinegar, peppercorns and cloves. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25u00a0minutes or until thick and liquid has almost all evaporated. Cool completely. Serve pork with jam potatoes, and salad leaves. Store the reserved meat, pan juices, leftover jam and remaining lemon half for other dinners (see related recipes).
Nutritions of Roast pork with tomato and maple jamfatContent: 1103.702 calories
saturatedFatContent: 29.8 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 21.7 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 16.2 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 178.1 grams protein
sodiumContent: 493 milligrams cholesterol