Perfect for a Sunday roast, this juicy pulled pork is served with sticky roasted pears, mashed potato and sauerkraut. Its also budget-friendly and high in fibre.
The ingredient of Pulled pork with sticky pears and sauerkraut
- 1.5kg boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 4 Corella pears, quartered, cored
- 20g butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 300g green beans, steamed
- Mashed potato, to serve
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 red onion, grated
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
The instruction how to make Pulled pork with sticky pears and sauerkraut
- Preheat oven to 140C/120C fan-forced.
- Using a sharp knife, cut rind off pork, leaving a thin layer of fat on the pork. Discard rind. Combine fennel, chilli, garlic, salt and half the oil in a small bowl. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pork, turning, for 10 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a large roasting pan. Brush all over with fennel mixture. Add stock to pan. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 3 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Sauerkraut: Combine cabbage, onion, vinegar, caraway seeds and salt in a medium bowl. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 hours, tossing mixture after 1 hour.
- Remove pork from oven. Carefully drain pan juices into a saucepan. Increase oven temperature to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Place pears in a bowl. Add butter and sugar. Toss to coat. Add pears to roasting pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, turning pork and pears halfway through, or until pears are tender and caramelised and pork is very tender.
- Reheat pan juices over high heat for 5 minutes or until boiling. Using 2 forks, shred pork. Drizzle pork with pan juices. Serve with pears, sauerkraut, beans and mash.
Nutritions of Pulled pork with sticky pears and sauerkrautfatContent: 610.406 calories
saturatedFatContent: 24.3 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 9.3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 42.5 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 45.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 136 milligrams cholesterol