For a sandwich with a difference, try this Cubano pork sandwich.
The ingredient of Cubano pork sandwich
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5kg Coles pork leg roast
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 Vietnamese rolls, halved horizontally
- 12 Swiss cheese slices
- 6 gherkins, thinly sliced lengthways
- Butter, to spread
- Oven-baked frozen potato wedges & mixed salad leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Cubano pork sandwich
- Combine the juices, coriander, oregano, cumin and garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place the pork in a large baking dish. Run a small sharp knife between the cuts in the pork rind to make 1-2cm deep incisions between the cuts in the rind. Make 4cm deep incisions at the front of the pork roast. Rub the marinade all over the pork. Place in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight ideally to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 250C. Roast the pork for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180C. Roast for 1 hour 40 minutes or until just cooked through. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Thinly slice the pork. Place 12 slices on a large plate. Reserve the remaining slices for another use such as in salads or sandwiches.
- Combine the mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Spread over the cut-side of the rolls. Fold half the cheese slices and place on the base of the rolls. Top with the pork, gherkin and the remaining folded cheese slices, followed by the bread roll lids.
- Preheat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Working with 3 rolls at a time, spread the top and bottom with butter and place in the frying pan. Top with another smaller frying pan followed by a heavy weight such as a small saucepan. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until the cheese melts and the bread is crisp. (Alternatively cook the rolls in a sandwich press if you have one.) Cut in half. Divide among serving plates with the potato wedges. Serve with mixed salad leaves.
Nutritions of Cubano pork sandwichfatContent: 1326.689 calories
saturatedFatContent: 56 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 22.5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 53 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8.8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 143.1 grams protein
sodiumContent: 430 milligrams cholesterol