Yes, it is possible to make crispy pork belly ahead of time! Make it a day ahead, then serve on top of braised French lentils with fennel and bitter kale. See Notes for directions.
The ingredient of Crispy pork with braised lentils and fennel
- 1.2kg pork belly, rind scored at 1cm intervals
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 165g (3/4 cup) French green lentils, rinsed
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 100g kale leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
The instruction how to make Crispy pork with braised lentils and fennel
- Place the pork on a plate. Rub 1 tsp oil into the pork rind. Sprinkle with 3 tsp salt. Place in the fridge, uncovered, for 3 hours (this helps dry out the skin).
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan forced. Use paper towel to wipe rind completely dry. Combine the fennel seeds and remaining salt and sprinkle over the rind. Place in a roasting pan. Pour half the lemon juice and half the water into the base of the pan and roast, topping up with remaining water as necessary for 2 hours 30 minutes, until the pork is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the fennel. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the onion, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until soft. Stir in the lentils and thyme. Add the wine. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the stock. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly. Stir in the kale, mustard and remaining lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until wilted. Season.
- Increase oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Transfer pork to the prepared tray. Roast pork for 15 minutes. Increase oven to 230C/210C fan forced. Roast for a further 20 minutes or until the rind crackles. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Arrange lentil mixture on a serving plate. Top with the pork.
Nutritions of Crispy pork with braised lentils and fennelfatContent: 765.517 calories
saturatedFatContent: 39 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 23 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 74 grams protein