Curtis Stones delicious, succulent pork shoulder will be the crowning achievement of your next family feast.
The ingredient of Five spice roasted pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.8-2 kg Coles Easy Carve Pork Shoulder roast
- 2 medium brown onions (about 530g), cut into 1 cm dice
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
The instruction how to make Five spice roasted pork shoulder
- To roast the pork, preheat oven to 225C or 205C fan-forced.
- Rub the five-spice powder and salt all over the pork, then rub over the oil. Place pork, fat-side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 30 mins, then reduce the temperature to 180u00b0C or 160u00b0C fan and continue roasting for 1 hr 30 mins, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the pork registers 60u00b0C. As a rule of thumb, for every 500g of pork, roast for about 25 mins.
- Transfer pork to a carving board, cover loosely with foil, and rest for about 25 mins.
- Meanwhile, to make the compote, preheat a medium, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then add onions and cook for 3 mins, or until onions begin to soften. Add star anise and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins, or until onions are translucent. Add ginger and cook for 2 mins, or until fragrant. Add sugar and stir for 1 min, or until the sugar liquefies and simmers. Stir in the orange zest and vinegar and reduce heat to medium-low to simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 mins, or until the liquid reduces to a light syrup. Set aside to cool. The compote will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Slice pork and transfer to a platter. Serve with Onion & ginger compote.
Nutritions of Five spice roasted pork shoulderfatContent: 634.784 calories
saturatedFatContent: 24.9 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8.2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 33.6 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 28 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 65.3 grams protein
sodiumContent: 194 milligrams cholesterol