The ingredient of Pork with honey, fennel & red apples
- 1 2kg boned pork shoulder, rind removed leaving 5mm of fat over surface
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 250ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 1 Massel vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 bunch baby (Dutch) carrots, unpeeled, trimmed
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 8 small royal gala apples
- 2 bulbs (about 600g) fennel, tough outer leaves removed, halved lengthways, thickly sliced crossways
The instruction how to make Pork with honey, fennel & red apples
- Preheat oven to 190u00b0C. Use unwaxed white string to tie the pork at 2cm intervals. Roll pork in the crushed celery seeds to evenly coat. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the boiling water and crumbled stock cube in a large heatproof jug and stir until dissolved. Add the wine and honey and stir until well combined. Set aside until required.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based flameproof roasting pan over medium heat. Add the pork and cook, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until brown all over. Place pork on a plate and set aside. Add the onion to pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the stock mixture to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly with a flat-bottomed wooden spoon, for 1 minute or until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Return pork to pan with carrots and garlic cloves. Cover with foil, securing firmly over dish. Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove foil and add the whole apples and sliced fennel. Return to oven and roast, uncovered, for 45 minutes until liquid has reduced slightly and apples are tender. Remove pork from pan, transfer to baking tray and cover loosely with foil. Set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes to rest. Turn oven off and place roasting pan with apples and vegetables in oven to keep warm while pork is resting.
- To serve, remove string from pork and carve into thick slices. Remove garlic from the pan and squeeze to remove the flesh. Serve the pork with the garlic, apples, fennel and carrots.
Nutritions of Pork with honey, fennel & red applesfatContent: 621.161 calories
saturatedFatContent: 37 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 20 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 19 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 46 grams protein
sodiumContent: 170 milligrams cholesterol