While pork and fennel is a classic combination, weve added a few extra elements to take this main to the next level. Serve with winter vegetables for the perfect meal.
The ingredient of Slow-cooked cumin and fennel pork with sprouts and silverbeet
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2kg boneless pork shoulder
- 400g Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch silverbeet, stems and centre veins discarded, leaves roughly torn
The instruction how to make Slow-cooked cumin and fennel pork with sprouts and silverbeet
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Finely chop 1/2 the garlic. Combine chopped garlic, fennel, cumin, thyme, pepper, sugar, vinegar, salt and 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl.
- Remove any netting or string from pork. Unroll pork. Rub pork all over with spice mixture. Roll up to enclose. Tie with kitchen string at 3cm intervals to secure. Place pork in a large roasting pan. Add 1 cup water. Cover with foil. Roast for 2 hours.
- Remove foil. Roast, uncovered, for 1 hour, spooning pan juices over pork occasionally, or until golden brown (see note).
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place sprouts and onion on prepared tray. Drizzle with u00bd the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for the last 25 minutes of pork cooking time, or until golden and tender.
- Remove pork from oven. Pour pan juices into a small saucepan. Cover pork loosely with foil to keep warm. Bring juices to the boil over high heat. Boil for 7 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining garlic. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add silverbeet. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until silverbeet is wilted. Serve pork with sprout mixture, silverbeet and pan juices.
Nutritions of Slow-cooked cumin and fennel pork with sprouts and silverbeetfatContent: 558.543 calories
saturatedFatContent: 23.8 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 13.9 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 69.6 grams protein
sodiumContent: 200 milligrams cholesterol