You will be pickled pink with this classic pork roast with crunchy crackling. Curtis Stone pairs the tart, pickled blueberry sauce to cut through the richness of the pork.
The ingredient of Coriander-fennel crusted pork roast with pickled blueberries
- 2kg Coles Pork Loin Roast (12cm wide, 20cm long)
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons light golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
The instruction how to make Coriander-fennel crusted pork roast with pickled blueberries
- To brine the pork: Remove the netting from the pork and lay the pork flat and fat side up. Run a sharp knife or box cutter along the scored skin and fat to deepen the score marks and extend them through the ends.
- In a large heavy pot, combine the water, 1 cup of the salt, brown sugar, honey, garlic, whole coriander seeds, whole fennel seeds, and whole black peppercorns. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and add the ice. Chill the brine until cold. Place the pork loin in a baking pan. Add enough of the brine so that only the pork meat is submerged but the skin remains above the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make the pickled blueberries: In a large heavy saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, and star anise and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the pickling liquid into a bowl. Add the blueberries and refrigerate for 4 hours. Strain the pickling liquid into a small heavy saucepan. Simmer the liquid over medium-high heat until reduced by half. Pour the reduced pickling liquid back over the blueberries.
- To roast the pork: Preheat the oven to 240u00b0C (220u00b0C fan-forced). Remove the pork from the brine and pat dry. Place the pork on a rack set in a baking tray and allow the pork to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Reroll the pork loin and secure it with kitchen string. In a small bowl, mix the ground coriander seeds, ground fennel seeds, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, and the ground pepper. Sprinkle the spice mixture and oil all over the pork and rub the mixture into the scored surface.
- Roast the pork for about 40 minutes, or until the fat and skin blister and become crisp and golden brown. Reduce the oven temperature to 200u00b0C (180u00b0C fan) and continue to roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 60u00b0C. If the pork begins to brown too much before the centre has reached the proper temperature, tent it loosely with foil. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and rest for about 10 minutes.
- To serve the pork: Using a serrated knife, slice the pork loin and divide the slices among 8 plates, placing 2 slices on each plate. Spoon the pickled blueberries and some pickling liquid over and around the pork. Drizzle with any pan juices and serve.
Nutritions of Coriander-fennel crusted pork roast with pickled blueberriesfatContent: