This is the ultimate winter comfort food so warm up with tender pork, crackling & rich, smoky ham hock.
The ingredient of Roast pork with ham hock roast parsnips
- 1kg free-range pork rump or loin
- 80ml (1u20443 cup) vegetable oil
- 450g small parsnips, trimmed, halved
- 25g butter
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Fried sage leaves, to serve
- 1 (about 850g) ham hock
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 black peppercorns
The instruction how to make Roast pork with ham hock roast parsnips
- Place pork, rind-side up, on a clean work surface. Use a sharp knife to score rind at 1.5cm intervals, taking care not to cut through flesh. Transfer to a plate. Place in fridge, uncovered, for 8 hours or overnight.
- For the stock, place all ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 1u20442 hours or until meat is very tender and falling off the bone. Cool hock completely in liquid. Shred meat. Discard skin and bones. Strain stock through a sieve into a bowl. Reserve liquid. Discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Generously season pork rind with sea salt and pepper, rubbing into cuts. Heat the oil in a non-stick ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Cook pork, rind side down, for 5 minutes or until golden brown and rind starts to crackle. Turn and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until pork is golden and sealed.
- Transfer to oven. Roast for 15 minutes. Transfer the pork to a wire rack set over a baking tray. Reduce oven to 150C/130C fan forced. Roast for a further 25-30 minutes for a slight pink blush or until pork is cooked to your liking. Cover with foil. Set aside to rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the parsnips, increase oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Place 500ml (2 cups) of the stock and parsnip in a single layer in an ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover surface with a round of baking paper. Simmer, turning once, for 8 minutes or until just tender. Transfer parsnips to a plate. Set aside.
- Add butter, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and sugar to the pan. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Return parsnips to pan and turn to coat. Roast, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until glazed and sticky. Top with ham. Roast for a further 2 minutes or until warmed through.
- Carve pork. Sprinkle with sage. Serve with parsnips.
Nutritions of Roast pork with ham hock roast parsnipsfatContent: 601.324 calories
saturatedFatContent: 42 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 14 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 41 grams protein