Fall in love with this rich and creamy roast pumpkin soup with succulent ham.
The ingredient of Matt Prestons Roast Pumpkin & Ham Soup
- 880g ham hock
- 2L (8 cups) water
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 celery sticks, cut into large pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into large pieces
- 1.5kg Kent pumpkin, peeled, u2028deseeded, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60g butter
- 12 small fresh sage leaves
- 2 tbs pepitas, toasted
The instruction how to make Matt Prestons Roast Pumpkin & Ham Soup
- Place the ham hock in a stock pot. Add the u2028water, peppercorns, bay leaves, celery and carrot. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce u2028the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for u20281 hour 45u00a0minutes or until the meat falls away from u2028the bone. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Line a large roasting pan with baking paper. Place pumpkin on pan. Drizzle over 1 tbs oil. Season. Roast for 50 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Use tongs to remove the ham hock from the pot. u2028Set aside until cool enough to handle. Use your hands to remove the ham from the bone. Discard the bone and any rind. Shred the ham. Place a colander over a large bowl. Pour in the ham stock mixture. Discard the vegetables and spices. Reserve the liquid.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the pumpkin and reserved liquid. Increase heat to medium. Cover. Bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced slightly. Set aside for 10u00a0minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the sage and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the butter is golden and the sage is crisp. Remove from the heat.
- Use a stick blender to blend the pumpkin mixture until smooth. Season with pepper. Spoon among serving bowls. Place a little of the shredded ham u2028in the centre. Top with the toasted pepitas and sage leaves, and drizzle over the burnt butter.
Nutritions of Matt Prestons Roast Pumpkin & Ham SoupfatContent: 263.856 calories
saturatedFatContent: 15.9 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6.3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 16.2 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 6.4 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 16 grams protein
sodiumContent: 55 milligrams cholesterol