A super simple starter to warm the soul and win over your dinner guests.
The ingredient of Creamy parsnip soup with parmesan snow flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 750g parsnips, peeled, chopped
- 250g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 250ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme tips
- Cream, extra, to serve
The instruction how to make Creamy parsnip soup with parmesan snow flakes
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Melt the oil and half the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic and chopped thyme. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add parsnip and potato. Cook, stirring for a further 5 minutes. Add the stock and season. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile, for the parmesan flakes, line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place tablespoonfuls of parmesan, with 6 on each prepared tray, allowing room for spreading. Flatten slightly and bake for 5 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Transfer the parsnip mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan over low heat. Stir in the cream and cook gently until heated through.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the thyme tips. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until butter turns golden and nut brown.
- Divide the soup among warmed bowls. Drizzle with the thyme butter and a little extra cream. Serve with the parmesan flakes.
Nutritions of Creamy parsnip soup with parmesan snow flakesfatContent: 411.797 calories
saturatedFatContent: 29.7 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 16.1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 33.4 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 7.8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 6.6 grams protein
sodiumContent: 82 milligrams cholesterol