Make this high fibre soup ahead of time for a tasty winter warmer.
The ingredient of One-pot hearty ham and bean soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1kg smoked ham hock, rind removed (see note)
- 1.5 litres Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g can butter beans, drained, rinsed
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Parmesan, finely grated, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make One-pot hearty ham and bean soup
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, paprika, cumin, ground coriander and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add ham hock, stock and tomatoes. Season with pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for a further 30 minutes or until ham is falling off the bone. Remove ham hock from soup mixture. Shred ham from bone. Discard bone. Return ham to soup.
- Add beans to soup. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Top with parsley and parmesan, and serve with crusty bread.
Nutritions of One-pot hearty ham and bean soupfatContent: 567.147 calories
saturatedFatContent: 19.2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6.2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 55.9 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 38.6 grams protein
sodiumContent: 62 milligrams cholesterol