Green onion croutes are a perfect accompaniment to mixed onion soup.
The ingredient of Mixed onion soup with green onion croutes
- 40g butter
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 Spanish onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
- 6 cups (1.5L) Massel beef style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 small baguette, cut diagonally into 2cm-thick slices
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (80g) coarsely grated gruyere
The instruction how to make Mixed onion soup with green onion croutes
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over high heat until foaming. Add the brown and Spanish onions and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onion softens and begins to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the brandy and bring to the boil. Add the stock and thyme and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make the croutes, preheat grill on high. Place baguette slices on an oven tray and cook under grill until toasted. Combine the green onions and gruyere in a bowl. Sprinkle over the bread. Grill for 2 minutes or until gruyere melts.
- Ladle the onion soup among serving bowls. Top with the green onion croutes and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Mixed onion soup with green onion croutesfatContent: 369.494 calories
saturatedFatContent: 17 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 10 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 22 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 7 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 13 grams protein
sodiumContent: 40 milligrams cholesterol