The ingredient of Split pea, ham & vegetable soup with garlic bread
- 1 ham hock (about 800g)
- 1 1/2 litres (6 cups) water
- 20g butter
- 1kg fresh soup mix, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup dried green split peas
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices of crusty bread
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
The instruction how to make Split pea, ham & vegetable soup with garlic bread
- Place ham hock in a large saucepan with 1 litre water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hr until meat falls off the bone. Discard, skin, bone and excess fat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another large saucepan and cook vegetables and bay leaves over moderate heat for 8 mins until just golden. Add remaining 2 cups water, 3 cups ham stock and split peas, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Shred meat from ham hock and add to the soup. Continue cooking until the split peas are just beginning to break down. Season to taste.
- Rub bread slices with garlic. Toast in a preheated sandwich press or grill for 2-3 mins or until golden and crisp. Serve the soup warm, sprinkled with the fresh parsley leaves and toasted garlic bread.
Nutritions of Split pea, ham & vegetable soup with garlic breadfatContent: 461.27 calories
saturatedFatContent: 12 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 61 grams carbohydrates