Onion soup is just not the same unless it is served with cheesy toast.
The ingredient of French onion soup with Swiss cheese croutons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1kg brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1L (4 cups) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 2 bread rolls, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
The instruction how to make French onion soup with Swiss cheese croutons
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the onion is golden.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until foaming. Remove from heat. Gradually add the stock and wine and stir until combined.
- Place the onion mixture over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on medium. Place the bread slices on a baking tray and cook under grill for 2-3 minutes each side or until toasted. Cut the cheese into pieces and divide among bread slices. Cook under grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top each soup with 2 Swiss cheese croutons. Season with pepper and serve immediately with the remaining Swiss cheese croutons.
Nutritions of French onion soup with Swiss cheese croutonsfatContent: 393.394 calories
saturatedFatContent: 21 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 10 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 32 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 15 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 14 grams protein
sodiumContent: 40 milligrams cholesterol