For a soup packed with flavour, you cant go past this spiced split-pea soup made in the slow cooker.
The ingredient of Slow-cooker spiced split-pea soup with harissa labneh
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander stem, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1L (4 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 650g smoked ham hock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 210g (1 cup) dried yellow split peas
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Toasted Lebanese bread, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 520g (2 cups) Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
The instruction how to make Slow-cooker spiced split-pea soup with harissa labneh
- For the harissa labneh, place a sieve over a large bowl. Line the sieve with a double layer of muslin. Combine the yoghurt and salt in a bowl. Place the yoghurt mixture in the centre of the muslin. Bring the edges together to enclose. Twist to secure and tie with kitchen string. Place in the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight to drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add coriander stem, seasoning and cinnamon. Stir for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Transfer to a 5.5L slow cooker.
- Add stock, ham hock, tomato and split peas to slow cooker. Season with pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or until ham is very tender and falls away from the bone.
- Remove the ham hock from the slow cooker. Use 2 forks to remove the meat from the bone. Discard the bone and rind. Shred the meat and return to the soup.
- Remove labneh from muslin and place on a plate. Combine harissa and oil in a bowl. Spoon over the labneh. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Top with coriander and serve with the bread, harissa labneh and lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Slow-cooker spiced split-pea soup with harissa labnehfatContent: 739.227 calories
saturatedFatContent: 33 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 11 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 61 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 39 grams protein