"Tom yum soup is my ultimate comfort food. Its a classic Thai dish that;s super-charged with complex hot and sour flavours, yet it simple enough to make for a weeknight dinner." - Marion Grasby
The ingredient of Tom yum noodle soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 (about 500g) green prawns, peeled, deveined, heads and shells reserved
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
- 5 fresh red birdseye chillies, lightly bruised, plus extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- 4cm-piece galangal, thinly sliced
- 1 stem lemongrass, bruised, cut into 5cm lengths
- 4 baby buk choy, quartered
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fish sauce
- 100ml fresh lime juice
- 150g dried rice vermicelli or egg noodles
- 100g firm tofu, sliced
- 4 soft-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- 40g roasted peanuts, chopped
- Micro coriander, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Tom yum noodle soup
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add prawn heads and shells and cook, using a wooden spoon to lightly crush the shells, for 3-4 minutes, until shells are red. Add 1.25L (5 cups) water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer, skimming any foam from the surface, for 10 minutes to develop the flavours. Remove from the heat. Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a heatproof jug, pressing firmly on the heads and shells to extract as much flavour as possible. Discard the heads and shells.
- Transfer the stock to a large clean saucepan. Add the kaffir lime leaves, chillies, galangal and lemongrass. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the kaffir lime leaves, chillies, galangal and lemongrass and discard.
- Add the prawns and buk choy to the stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until prawns are just cooked through. Remove from heat. Use tongs to transfer prawns and buk choy to a bowl. Add the fish sauce and lime juice to the broth and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles following packet instructions. Drain.
- Divide the noodles among serving bowls and top with the prawns, buk choy, tofu and egg. Ladle over the warm broth. Sprinkle with the peanuts, coriander and extra chilli. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutritions of Tom yum noodle soupfatContent: 470.591 calories
saturatedFatContent: 21 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 31 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 34 grams protein