This show-stopping crispy crackling pork roast is simpler to make than the traditional whole hog Italian version.
The ingredient of Asian-style porchetta recipe
- 2kg piece skin-on pork belly
- 400g pork fillet
- Sambal oelek, to serve
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- Jasmine rice, to serve
- 8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 small French shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stem, pale part bruised, thinly sliced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh coriander roots, chopped
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
The instruction how to make Asian-style porchetta recipe
- To make the spice paste, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pat the pork belly dry with paper towel. Use a ruler and a sharp knife to score pork rind, cutting just into the fat layer at 1cm intervals. Generously season pork rind with salt, rubbing salt into score marks. Turn over pork and spread spice paste over the meat side only. Place pork fillet lengthways down centre of the belly. Roll pork belly over the fillet. Tie firmly with unwaxed kitchen string at 3cm intervals to secure. Transfer to a large roasting pan and place in the fridge, uncovered, overnight to dry out the skin.
- Preheat oven to 230C/210C fan forced. Pat the pork rind dry with paper towel. Roast in the pan, rotating pan halfway through to help crackling crisp evenly, for 20 minutes or until the rind starts to crackle. Reduce oven to 170C/150C fan forced. Roast for a further 1 hour 30 minutes then set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Remove string before slicing the porchetta. Spoon over any warm pan juices. Serve with sambal oelek, steamed greens and rice, if using.
Nutritions of Asian-style porchetta recipefatContent: 839.846 calories
saturatedFatContent: 55.9 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 20.7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 2.1 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 82.4 grams protein