Add this Asian crisp-fried trout recipe to your repertoire for a quick, delicious and healthy meal.
The ingredient of Crisp-fried ocean trout in sweet-spicy sauce (Pla lad prik)
- 2 tablespoons seedless tamarind pulp*
- 270ml can Ayam coconut milk
- 1/4 cup basic Thai red curry paste (see related recipe)
- 50g palm sugar, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, very finely shredded
- 4 x 200g fillets ocean trout, pin-boned
- Rice flour or plain flour, for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying, plus 2 teaspoons extra
- 1 (275g) bunch Chinese broccoli or other Asian greens
- 1 large red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally, to serve
- 1/3 cup coriander sprigs, to serve
The instruction how to make Crisp-fried ocean trout in sweet-spicy sauce (Pla lad prik)
- Place tamarind in a bowl and pour over 150ml warm water. Using your fingertips, rub pulp into water. Strain mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl, pressing down on solids. Reserve liquid and discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 150u00b0C. Heat 1/4 cup coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until oil starts to separate from milk. Add 2 tablespoons curry paste and stir for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add remaining coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce and tamarind liquid and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in lime leaf then remove from heat.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels, then spread 1 teaspoon curry paste over flesh side of each fillet. Working in batches of 2, dust fillets in flour, shaking away excess. One-third fill a wok or large, wide saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat to 180u00b0C. Add fish, flesh-side down, and fry for 3-5 minutes or until crisp and slightly undercooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep warm in oven while repeating with remaining fish.
- Drain oil from wok into a bowl. Wipe wok clean. Cut stems from Chinese broccoli and reserve. Cut leaves in half. Heat extra oil in wok over high heat until almost smoking. Add stems and stir-fry for 1 minute or until bright green. Add leaves and stir-fry for another minute or until just wilted. Divide greens among plates. Top with fish, then drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately, scattered with chilli and coriander.
Nutritions of Crisp-fried ocean trout in sweet-spicy sauce (Pla lad prik)fatContent: 531.536 calories
saturatedFatContent: 29 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 15 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 21 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 21 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 43 grams protein
sodiumContent: 118 milligrams cholesterol