For an authentic Thai dish, serve up this spicy chicken tom yum soup.
The ingredient of Chicken tom yum
- 8 cups (2L) chicken stock
- 8 Coles RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks (about 1.2kg)
- 75g fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 lemongrass stalks (75g), sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 2 limes, zested, juiced
- 2 blocks palm sugar (28g total), roughly chopped (or 2 tbs brown sugar)
- 1 cup (10g) loosely packed fresh coriander, with stems, plus more to serve
- 1/4 cup (5g) loosely packed fresh basil, with stems
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 100g Kent pumpkin, peeled
The instruction how to make Chicken tom yum
- In a large heavy pot, combine the chicken stock, chicken drumsticks, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, chilli, lime zest, palm sugar, coriander and basil. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 50 mins or until the chicken meat is falling off the bone. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside. Strain the broth and return it to the pot. Discard any solids. Coarsely shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin, bones and tendons. Return the meat to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat. Add the fish sauce and mushrooms. Using a vegetable peeler, shave ribbons from the pumpkin and add to the soup. Cook for 3 mins or until the mushrooms and pumpkin have softened. Season with the lime juice and salt.
- Divide the soup into bowls. Top with extra coriander leaves to serve.
Nutritions of Chicken tom yumfatContent: 430.2 calories
saturatedFatContent: 18 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 22 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 43 grams protein