Create a classic Thai dish with this fragrant beef massaman curry.
The ingredient of Beef massaman curry
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 800g Coles Australian gravy beef, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, cut into wedges
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 270ml can coconut cream
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 large brushed potatoes, washed, peeled, quartered
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup (70g) roasted peanuts
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Thinly sliced chilli, to serve
- Steamed SunRice jasmine rice, to serve
- Naan bread (optional), to serve
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 long red chillies, seeded (optional), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 stem lemongrass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 coriander roots, washed, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
The instruction how to make Beef massaman curry
- To make the curry paste, place the ground coriander, cumin, cardamom and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 1 min or until aromatic. Transfer to a food processor. Add onion, chilli, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, coriander roots, salt and 2 tablespoons water. Process until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook beef in 4 batches, turning, for 3 mins or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate. Add the onion to the pan with the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until fragrant.
- Place the curry paste mixture, beef, coconut milk, coconut cream, star anise, cinnamon, potato and 1 cup (250ml) water in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 6 hours (or on low for 8 hours) or until beef is very tender.
- Stir in the sugar, lime juice and fish sauce. Stir in peanuts.
- Spoon the curry among serving bowls. Top with coriander and chilli. Serve with rice and naan bread, if desired.
Nutritions of Beef massaman curryfatContent: 561.65 calories
saturatedFatContent: 38 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 21 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 13 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 40 grams protein