For a roast with a difference, try Vallis flavour-packed massaman roast chicken.
The ingredient of Massaman roast chicken
- 1.5kg whole chicken
- 2 stalks lemongrass, 1 grated, 1 cut into thirds
- 2 tbs grated ginger
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 2 limes, 1 halved, 1 juiced
- 1/4 cup (70g) Massaman curry paste
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 500g small chat potatoes, par-boiled for 10 minutes, drained
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp tamarind puree (see notes)
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tsp grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbs chopped unsalted peanuts, to serve
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
The instruction how to make Massaman roast chicken
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry inside and out with paper towel. Place in an oiled roasting pan. Combine grated lemongrass with half the ginger and half the kaffir lime leaves in a bowl. Place in chicken cavity with halved lime and remaining 3 pieces of lemongrass. Tie chicken legs with kitchen string.
- Combine 1 tbs curry paste with oil. Rub all over the chicken and season. Cover loosely with foil, then roast for 40 minutes. Remove foil, then add potatoes to the pan and baste with pan juices. Roast for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and juices run clear when thickest part of the chicken thigh is pierced. Transfer chicken and potatoes to a serving dish, loosely cover with foil and set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, place roasting pan on the stovetop, add remaining ginger and 2 tbs curry paste, and stir over a low heat for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add stock and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced by half. Add coconut milk and simmer until reduced and thickened. Add tamarind puree, fish sauce, sugar and juice of remaining 1 lime, then stir to combine. Pour gravy into a jug.
- Carve chicken, garnish with peanuts, coriander and remaining kaffir lime leaves, then serve with the Massaman gravy.
Nutritions of Massaman roast chickenfatContent: 842.953 calories
saturatedFatContent: 43.6 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 24.5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 33.3 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 7.6 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 79.4 grams protein
sodiumContent: 193 milligrams cholesterol