Have plenty of napkins ready when you dive into this luscious bowl of prawns.
The ingredient of Vietnamese-style barbecued prawns
- 36 (about 1kg) green (uncooked) king prawns
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 fresh red birdseye chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 60ml (1/4 cup) sweet chilli sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Thai basil
The instruction how to make Vietnamese-style barbecued prawns
- Combine the prawns, soy sauce, sherry, chilli, ginger, garlic and sesame oil in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to develop the flavours.
- Meanwhile, to make the dipping sauce, place the water, sweet chilli sauce and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, coriander and basil. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- Preheat a barbecue or chargrill on high. Add the prawns and cook for 1 minute each side or until they curl and change colour. Transfer to a large serving bowl and serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Nutritions of Vietnamese-style barbecued prawnsfatContent: 168.495 calories
saturatedFatContent: 2 grams fat
sugarContent: 13 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 13 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 24 grams protein