The ingredient of Satay chicken with lontong rice
- 4 (about 18 x 30cm each) fresh banana leaves
- 300g (1 1/2 cups) jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 80g (1/2 cup) roasted unsalted whole peanuts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 Asian shallots, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- 160ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk
- 1 lemon grass stick, pale section only, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, to grease
The instruction how to make Satay chicken with lontong rice
- Place the banana leaves in a large roasting pan and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1-2 minutes or until soft. Drain. Roll each banana leaf, from shortest end, to form a cylinder, about 7cm in diameter. Fold one end to enclose and secure with a toothpick. Spoon rice equally into the cylinders. Fold other end and secure with a toothpick. Place parcels, seam-side down, side by side, in a large saucepan of salted boiling water. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Transfer to a tray and set aside for 1 hour to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken, garlic, half the palm sugar, tamarind, soy sauce and lime juice in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour. Drain. Discard marinade and thread chicken along skewers.
- Place the peanuts in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and chilli and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add peanuts, coconut milk and lemon grass and stir to combine. Simmer over medium heat, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt.
- Brush a barbecue grill with oil and preheat on medium-high. Cook chicken, turning once, for 6 minutes or until browned and just cooked.
- To serve, slice rice parcels into chunks and place on plates with the skewers. Drizzle with satay sauce. Remove banana leaves before eating.
Nutritions of Satay chicken with lontong ricefatContent: