What? A meringue, with no eggs? Everyone will love this easy, zesty dessert that substitutes chickpea liquid for egg whites.
The ingredient of Vegan lemon meringue slice
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Yellow vegan food colouring (see notes)
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
The instruction how to make Vegan lemon meringue slice
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 16cm x 26cm slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pan on all sides. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in coconut and 1/2 cup caster sugar. Add coconut oil and half the vanilla. Stir until well combined and a soft dough forms. Press mixture into base of prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden (see notes). Set aside to cool completely.
- Place cornflour, lemon rind and remaining caster sugar in a heavy-based saucepan. Gradually stir in lemon juice and coconut milk. Using food colouring, tint mixture pale yellow. Place over medium heat. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture just bubbles and thickens. Working quickly, spoon over base in pan. Smooth top. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Drain chickpeas over a bowl to reserve liquid (youu2019ll need 1/2 cup liquid). Transfer chickpeas to an airtight container and store in the fridge for another use. Using an electric mixer, beat chickpea liquid for 5 minutes or until white and foamy and soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar. Beat to combine. Gradually add icing sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in remaining vanilla.
- Remove slice from pan and place on a board. Spoon u2018meringueu2019 mixture onto slice. Using a spatula, spread to cover lemon mixture. Using a kitchen blow torch, brown u2018meringueu2019 (see notes). Stand for 20 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve.
Nutritions of Vegan lemon meringue slicefatContent: 206.735 calories
saturatedFatContent: 9.3 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8.4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 29.7 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 1.2 grams protein