Serve this delicious salad as a hearty side or make it the main attraction. Its filled with healthy grains and seeds with a sweet, spicy pomegranate dressing.
The ingredient of Vegan mixed grain salad
- 220g (1 cup) pearl barley
- 70g (1/3 cup) white quinoa, rinsed
- 400g can lentils, rinsed, drained
- 90g (2/3 cup) walnut pieces
- 60g (1/3 cup) pepita and sunflower seed mix
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 2 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 75g punnet pomegranate seeds
- 160ml (2/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses or dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 45g (1/4 cup) currants
The instruction how to make Vegan mixed grain salad
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pearl barley and cook for 20 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook for a further 15 minutes or until both barley and quinoa are tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Transfer to a bowl. Add the lentils and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, coriander and cumin in a jug. Season well. Stir in the currants and set aside to develop the flavours.
- Place the walnut pieces and seed mix in a small frying pan over high heat. Cook, tossing the pan often, for 4 minutes or until toasted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the walnut mixture and dressing to the barley mixture. Toss to combine. Taste and season well. Add the coriander, mint and green shallot and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and extra coriander and mint leaves.
Nutritions of Vegan mixed grain saladfatContent: