Create a flavoursome plate for your favourite stir-fry with these crispy potato nests.
The ingredient of Chinese potato birds nest
- 2u20133 medium sized potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, or cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 litres vegetable oil, for deep frying
The instruction how to make Chinese potato birds nest
- Slice potatoes extremely thin, about 2mm thick and then shred into fine straws about 2mm thick, alternatively using a mandoline with a julienne attachment. Place potato into a large bowl or sieve, add cold water and rinse potatoes well until the water runs clear to remove excess starch. This will help the potatoes to become crispy.
- Drain potatoes well and squeeze out excess water then use paper towel to remove any moisture.
- Pour vegetable oil into a wok and heat on high, allow temperature to reach around 170u00b0C or if you add a wooden chopstick the oil will start to bubble in about 5 seconds.
- Add flour to the potatoes and toss well to combine.
- Dip larger strainer into the oil, place over saucepan then add potato evenly around the sides and base of the strainer to create a birds nest, about 1cm thick. Dip the smaller strainer in oil and place on top.
- When oil is ready, add strainers and fry until potatoes are golden and crispy, this might take between 5 u2013 10 minutes. When basket is nearly ready to remove from oil, gently remove the top strainer, or whatever strainer comes off easily, use a tip of a knife if any potato is stuck in the strainer, just be gentle so the nest doesnu2019t break. Remove nest and place on paper towel, remove other strainer, allow to cool slightly. Nest is now ready to use to serve your favourite saucy stir fry in.
Nutritions of Chinese potato birds nestfatContent: